Sunday, September 12, 2010

Time after time


Today I want to talk about time management. Or my lack of time management. I know the drill. Make a list. Prioritize the list. After reading a truck load of books and taking the coveted Franklin workshop, I know how to get things done.

So why do I always feel like I'm overwhelmed? The answer is simple. I think I can do more than I can. I can pay more bills than I have money. I can write a manuscript, edit a first draft, and develop new story ideas all at once. I can clean the house in a single day including giving the dogs a bath.

And somewhere in there, I can fit in a workout so I'll lose some weight and increase my health factor.

I am superwoman.

But I'm not.

I blame my need for perfection on growing up in the 70's. I wanted the career and the family. I knew I could do everything. And sometimes, I can. But sometimes, I wonder if I've taken on more than I can handle.

Those are the nights when kittens roam through my dreams and I'm unable to keep them all safe.

Standing in the middle of the street, I throw my hat into the air. Is Mary Tyler Moore right? We might just make it after all?
The picture today is of the hot springs where Roosevelt visited. The waters are suppose to have a healing property. And of course, there's a ghost. The original hotsprings can be found in. Okawville, Illinois.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I couldn't have expressed that any better. Wow. Nice to know I'm not alone.

I think, sometimes, we just need to learn to give ourselves a pass. Maybe it's allowing an hour to read or to go for a walk (just because--not as a workout). Maybe, then, we can keep from getting so overwhelmed.

Anonymous said...

The passage about not being able to keep the kittens safe: chilling and poetic, that.

I think the key to time management isn't finding a way to do it all. It's choosing those things we want to do, doing them, and making peace with all the lovely little opportunities we have to let go.

That's tough for me. I see others who seem to get it all done. But then, I wonder, how much satisfaction do they get from each task? Better, I think, to draw more from little, than too little from a lot.